Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital
Vice President and Chief Experience Officer (2022 – Present)
- Lead strategy and implementation for initiatives to improve the patient, family, and employee experience at the hospital
- Lead development of data strategy to best understand the voice of the customer
- Lead process improvement initiatives to make the patient experience more seamless, connected, and intuitive
- Lead the patient experience and volunteer teams at the hospital
Vice President of Experience Transformation (2021 – 2022)
- Lead strategy and implementation for Adventist HealthCare’s consumer digital journey.
- Lead new innovation lab and strategy for integrating human centered design into the experience of receiving care.
- Responsibilities in addition to role as Vice President of Patient Experience and Foundation.
Vice President of Patient Experience and Foundation (2020 – 2021)
- Lead 26 employees directly, directing activities in patient experience and philanthropy for all of Adventist HealthCare.
- Implemented more streamlined support team for foundation function.
- Led a campaign for COVID-19 community relief, raising more than $1.5 million.
- Increased dollars raised by 33% in year 1, raising most money for the system in over 20 years.
- Reduced cost to raise a dollar by 34% in year 1.
- Leading the development of the company-wide approach to innovation
- Responsibilities in addition to role as Vice President of Patient Experience.
Vice President of Patient Experience (2019 – 2020)
- Improved patient experience scores at flagship hospital to 76th percentile in the state of Maryland and 53rd percentile nationally.
- Deploying a campaign for 6,000+ employees to implement a new culture around how we treat the patient and other customers, called “Bridging the GAP.”
- Implemented data management strategy, using the Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS) survey, online reviews, and other quantitative and qualitative methods of collecting the voice of the customer.
- Implemented data dashboard that uses AI and natural language processing to analyze quantitative and qualitative data down to the unit level.
- Implemented AI and natural language processing responsive surveys. AHC is the first in the health system in the country to partner with this company
- Developed live repository of training, patient stories, and other information through Microsoft SharePoint.
- Developing training, coaching, continuous learning, and other programs for leaders and patient facing caregivers.
- Chairing, Adventist HealthCare Patient Experience Council.
- Chairing, Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award category 3 team.
- Developed system wide patient experience behavioral standards through a collaborative process that engaged patient facing staff.
- Serving as a member of the Adventist HealthCare Senior Executive Team.
Associate Vice President of Patient Experience (2018 – 2019)
- First executive leader for the organization in patient experience, leading a new department including developing and implementing strategy
- Facilitated a system-wide council of 30 senior stakeholders to develop a new approach to patient experience
- Developed a campaign for 6,000 employees to implement a new culture around how we treat the patient and other customers
- Developed systems and processes to implement consistent and coordinated practices across the health system
- Lead the Malcolm Baldrige Award application category 3 committee for the health system
- Developed dedicated sharepoint site for deployment
- Prepared patient experience curriculum for all-day company leadership conference with over 600 participants
- Over 95% positive post-conference survey response (45% response rate)
Executive Director of Urgent Care Operations and Government Relations (2016 – 2018)
- Led the operations of three 5,000 sq/ft urgent care locations with 40 full time employees
- Established entity vision and value proposition and deployed with staff engagement to foster a team approach to achieving growth
- Facilitated process improvement projects including shortening patient wait times, shortening training time for new staff, and accurate provider coding
- Oversaw $6 million P&L
- Improved net margin by 15%
- Improved revenue by 56%
- Improved online reviews by 20%
- Achieved year over year growth of 31%
- Oversaw management transition, including EMR go-live, and established new processes and procedures in HR, Finance, Quality, IT, and Education
- Reduced training schedule from four weeks to two weeks for clinical staff
- Created plan and strategy for growing the urgent care business line
- Performed operational responsibilities in addition to those as Director of Public Policy
Director of Public Policy (2013-2016)
- Represented the company to federal, state, and local policy makers, community members, and local organizations
- Successfully advocated for federal legislation creating and funding a federal program to research childhood mental health intervention outcomes
- Successfully advocated for year-over-year dedicated support for childhood mental health in Maryland
- Served as a member of the management committee for the Adventist Health Policy Association
- Served as a member of the Adventist HealthCare Senior Executive Team
Montgomery County Chamber of Commerce
Director of Public Affairs (2011-2013)
- Represented the trade organization to federal, state, and local policy makers, community members, and local organizations
- Successfully advocated for legislation in Maryland that gave additional opportunities for small business to bid on state contracts
- Successfully advocated for legislation in Maryland that gave tax credits for building secure facilities
- Started grassroots mobilizing efforts to advocate for issues that support the local business community
- Managed the four policy committees of the board
American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC)
Campus Mobilization Director (2010-2011)
- Responsible for educating college students on the value of the US-Israel relationship on campuses across the United States
- Mobilized students to advocate to their members of Congress
- Started quarterly student calls with middle east policy experts
Current Board & Volunteer Experience
Jewish Community Relations Council of Greater Washington
The Jewish Community Relations Council (JCRC) of Greater Washington endeavors to foster a society based on freedom, justice and democratic pluralism for it is such a society which affords Jews, and all people, the conditions most conducive to individual security, equal opportunity and creative group survival. JCRC accomplishes this goal through their work in four pillars: government relations, Israel advocacy, inter-group relations, and social justice.
- Board Member
Montgomery County (MD) Chamber of Commerce
The Montgomery County Chamber of Commerce is a local organization that gathers business leaders working in the community. The intention is to advance the goals and interests of the business community in Montgomery County, Maryland.
- Board Member
Awards & Recognition
The Washington Business Journal 40 Under 40
The Daily Record 20 in their 20s
Committee for Montgomery Chairman’s Award
Gaithersburg-Germantown Chamber of Commerce Exceptional Volunteer Award
Georgetown University, Institute for Transformational Leadership, School of Continuing Studies
Executive Certificate in Leadership Coaching
- International Coaching Federation (ICF) approved course
- 8-month program developing competencies in Executive Coaching, Leadership Development, and Organizational Development
Stanford University School of Medicine
Certificate in Healthcare Innovation
- Weeklong program studying how to be an innovation leader in healthcare
University of Maryland, Robert H. Smith School of Business
- Executive MBA Program
- Lead the team that won “Best Overall Project” in Business Problem Solving Action Learning Project.
- Consulted with a Prosthetics and Orthotics company called Dankmeyer, Inc
- Made recommendations to help Dankmeyer achieve organizational growth targets
- Won Marketing Strategy simulation
University of Maryland, College of Behavioral and Social Sciences
BA, Government and Politics, High Honors
- Earned High Honors for thesis on Senator Millard Tydings and the norms of the United States Senate of the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s
- Served as President of the Student Government Association
- Served on the University Senate Executive Committee
- Served as the Student Liaison to the College Park City Council
- Interned for the United States House of Representatives Energy and Commerce Committee
- Interned for Congressman Steny Hoyer
- Interned for Maryland State Delegate Jeff Waldstreicher
- Omicron Delta Kappa National Leadership Honor Society
- Certificate, Rawlings Undergraduate Leadership Scholars
- Certificate, Public Leadership Scholars Program
- Co-author, Knowing Our History: African-American Slavery and the University of Maryland
Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School
High School Diploma
- Founded a student-lead committee to create assembly programs commemorating September 11th, Martin Luther King Day, and Memorial Day
- Reached County Mock Trial finals in a Defense Lawyer role
- Earned Community Service Award
- Founded the school’s ultimate frisbee team